Tuesday 4 December 2012

Concrete Teacups and Mortar Saucers

So progress with testing the versatility of concrete is coming along. So far not only have I been testing different mixes of concrete but also different moulds to put the material in. 

The main mix that I have decided on is using GGBS or Granulated Ground Blast Furnace Slag. This is a by product of steel and iron making. The molten iron slag is quenched in water or steam which gives a glassy, granular product. This is then dried and ground down. It is light in colour which allows me to play around with different colours and finishes knowing they will show up more clearly. (This is will become apparent in the following week) I have also tried using cork but this did not work very well, however, I plan to try a different mix which hopefully will.

I have also been using different materials for moulds including silicone, different plastics, wood and I plan to try laminated wood today. 

The set backs so far have been that even though I can get a great smooth finish the material can be very porous and quite brittle. I think this may be from too many air bubbles becoming trapped and possibly too much water in the mix. Today I will test a mix with bigger bits of recycled aggregate which should help bind the materials more. I also plan to try using hay to bind the materials. Below are some images of what I have managed so far! (With loads more to come I might add!)






No comments:

Post a Comment