Wednesday 31 October 2012

Guru Day

Yesterday we had "Guru Day," it was inspiring and really helpful to speak to people in industry and find out what they thought of where my project was heading and taking on board they had to offer. The gurus were Richard Banks and Tim Reegan, who both work with Microsoft Research in Cambridge, as well as Martin Bontoft and Paul Greenhalgh who both work at Team Consulting. Below is my set up for my desk and what I showed the gurus.



All the gurus were extremely helpful and showed great interest in what I had to say about my project and it was very reassuring that people thought the outcome would be exciting. As well as speaking to the gurus individually there was also a panel section in which questions like what are your pet hates? and what skills do you need to be a good designer? Other questions included what do you look for when you are recruiting? and who are are your personal design heroes/heroines?

This brought to light a hero for one of the gurus who I have always been in awe and inspiration of and even though I knew of his inventions never thought of him as a design hero and I am not sure why. I am speaking about Leonardo da Vinci. He was a painter, sculptor, architect, musician, scientist, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist, and a writer. His inventions were mind blowing, especially for his time below is one the I particularly like, the ornihopter; designed in 1493, it is explorative rather than working and this appeals to my own design values:  


Who are your design heroes and why? Who inspires you and gets you motivated?

No comments:

Post a Comment